Strategic Planning and Accelerated Operations Improvement
Combining the discipline of analytics with the creativity of vision
Stroudwater’s hospital and system strategic planning combines the creative process of shaping a compelling vision of an enterprise’s future success with a disciplined approach of defining the tasks, accountabilities, and progress measures that are crucial for successful execution of the vision.
With over two decades of strategic planning experience, Stroudwater recognizes that there is no single “one size fits all” method for creating high value strategies for hospitals and systems. Our approach is customized to the circumstances and realities of each client.
Each customized approach does share foundational characteristics. These include at a minimum:
- A re-assessment of organizational mission and purposes.
- Development of a vision that describes future success.
- An analytical review of the current status and trajectory of market conditions, including demographic, competitive perspectives including market share analysis, population-based use rate trends, and future changes in supply side market characteristics.
- Clinical service specific reviews of existing volume trends, new service opportunities, and specific options for competing or affiliating with other providers in the market.
- An evaluation of strategic options. This frequently takes the form of a scenario planning exercise that models alternative strategic options and their implications for achieving organizational purpose.
- An analysis of capital structure, financial performance indicators, and future investment requirements and funding strategies for strategic execution.
- Development of a strategy map and key performance indicators for communicating and tracking performance around the strategic plan.
Stroudwater’s Accelerated Operations Improvement employs a rapid change model to transform healthcare organizations. The model focuses on the themes of improving the delivery system, the payment system while implementing a population health approach to position the hospital or practice for success. Our approach rapidly streamlines operations, reduces operating expenses, improves revenue cycle, and enhances patient outcomes.
AOI is grounded in four principles:
- First, the hospital leadership not the consultants needs to own and drive the improvement process.
- Second, the consultants’ job is to diagnose the culture and performance barriers so that a plan can be crafted with the right information, resources, tools, and leadership development strategy to achieve organizational sustainability.
- Third, the operations improvement approach and communication plan needs to be customized to the hospital, recognizing that unique and specific market forces and organizational history need to be understood so that the improvement plan is realistic and executable under health reform.
- Fourth, and most important, the engagement is not about designing a performance improvement initiative that is time-limited, but rather, it is about permanently changing the way the hospital does business and meets community need.
Strategic planning has been a focus of our company since its founding in 1985. We have completed hundreds of strategic plans for organizations as small as critical access hospitals, to regional referral centers, and academic medical centers. Despite the breadth of Stroudwater’s experience in strategic planning, it is important to recognize that each strategic assignment is planned in a customized manner based upon the specific realities of the client.
To learn more about Stroudwater’s Accelerated Operations Improvement model, please click here.