Matt Mendez is a healthcare professional with more than 20 years of executive and consulting experience. He has worked in a variety of settings, ranging from an academic medical center to a small community hospital within an integrated delivery system. With the goal of improving healthcare delivery and outcomes, Matt excels as a change agent by advising hospitals and health systems about how they can thrive in challenging market conditions.
Before joining Stroudwater, Matt consulted within the North Carolina Hospital Association, PricewaterhouseCoopers’ healthcare practice, and on an independent basis. Matt also served as CEO and COO of two not-for-profit community hospitals, where he was responsible for strategy and overall operations prior to his consulting roles.
Throughout his career, Matt has been drawn to challenging opportunities that required transformational change across service, quality, people, and finance dimensions. He is a passionate leader who finds great satisfaction in helping others achieve extraordinary results. When not serving his clients, Matt enjoys mountain biking, boating, kayaking, and camping with his family.
- Orchestrating successful turnarounds of two community hospitals, resulting in improved financial and operational performance
- Conducting strategic, financial and operational assessments and action planning sessions for community hospitals Critical Access Hospitals
- Facilitating the development of strategic plans for numerous community hospitals, a multi-hospital group purchasing exchange and a state hospital association
- Assisting independent community hospitals and systems in the evaluation of strategic affiliation partnership opportunities
- Organizing and facilitating statewide Learning and Action Networks for Critical Access Hospitals
- Guiding the planning, design, and construction of an emergency department, surgery center, and free-standing diagnostic center for a community hospital within a health system
- Coordinating a two-state collaborative focused on driving a Lean improvement culture across 25 hospitals
- Leading the redesign and development of a facility space plan at a community hospital within a large integrated delivery network that resulted in the following improvements: reduced patient wait times for the emergency department, patient access, and laboratory
- Assisting a multi-state health system in identifying the optimal future operating model for one of its affiliate hospitals
- Accreditation in the use of the Organizational Cultural Inventory (OCI) and Organizational Effectiveness Inventory (OEI) tools which can be applied to leading organizations through the process of culture transformation (defining ideal culture, assessing the current culture and climate, identifying gaps, and planning for desired change)
Matt earned his bachelor’s degree in biology from Hampden-Sydney College and his Master of Health Administration from the Medical College of Virginia campus of Virginia Commonwealth University. He is a member of the American College of Healthcare Executives.
Contact Matt at 207-221-8278